Sooty Grouse - negative

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15 12:31 PM
      14 March 2013 - Friday - This morning I decided to try for Sooty Grouse along
      Low Gap Road west of the Ukiah High School. The road is washed out about 9.5
      miles west of the fork with Pine Mtn. Road. I started at daylight near the
      second cattleguard, which is the historical area of an old Sooty (then Blue)
      Grouse "Lek" a decade+-or-so ago. When you find one Sooty Grouse male hooting,
      that bird is usually 1 of 5 or 6 in a "Lek" area covering several acres in
      size. The males usually pick out mature old conifer trees like Douglas Fir ...
      trees that are gnarly and have many large horizontal ladder branches from which
      they hoot from. These trees are many times near ridges ... but in this case
      they are not. In that past I was visually able to locate 3 males within this
      lek site.

      But this morning I had no luck at all. The conditions were ideal for hearing
      and I used a super-sonic hearing enhancer to listen. I did this about every
      1/2 mile up the road starting at the 2nd cattleguard, and at each "optimum
      habitat" site .... and had no luck at all. I think that Low Gap Road
      population, as we suspected for a few years, is in fact totally gone. Reasons
      are unknown as to the disappearance ... as there has not been any habitat
      changes there over the year. Late March, April, and early May are ideal times
      to be listening for Sooty Grouse hooting. If anyone should happen to know of
      or find a place that has decent public access then please post it on
      Mendobirds. I suspect that there must be places along Mountain View Road
      (Boonville to Manchester), Greenwood Ridge Road (Philo to Elk) near Signal
      Ridge, or in the mountains around Covelo. Good birding. Bob Keiffer.
      rjkeiffer@... or rjkeiffer@...