American Dipper Nest

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2013
      I stopped off at the old Potter Valley bridge today after work and discovered that the new American Dipper nest was destroyed. The nest wasn't even there anymore.

      Fortunately I saw a Dipper on the river bank gathering material and dipping it in the water. It then flew up into its new nest. The new nest is located just in front of last years old nest. It could have been building onto the old nest, I didn't get a look from the west side of the river. If you stand under the bridge on the east side, the nest protrudes out enough to see it. Steve
    • Jim Armstrong
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2013
        The Dipper pair were hard at work on the nest this Saturday afternoon. They are still using the splintered snag in the river just north of the bridge for a staging area.
        It looks like the entrance to the nest is right on top of the girder. In the past the returning parent had to find a way to grip the vertical area below the nest. Now they may just be able to walk in.
        There is lots of swallow activity along the river, but no sign of nest updating under the bridge overhang.

      • jarlyus
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2013
          About 15 minutes this Friday afternoon revealed no Dipper activity and no discernable new work.
          It is a little worrisome that someone, authorized or not, has been harvesting the logs that floated down this winter and got stuck under the bridge. These are right under the nest and have included the snag the birds used as a staging area.
          I hope its loss and the activity doesn't discourage them.

          Jim A