Mountain Bluebirds in PtrV

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2003
      Mon, 24 Feb 2003, 08:15 -- This morning I found a group of 8 MOUNTAIN
      BLUEBIRDS on Pine Avenue in Potter Valley. Initially they were sitting on
      the fences near the set-back gate on the north side of the road about 3/4
      mile from East Road, just before Pine Avenue goes down to cross Burright
      Creek. They flew off and lit in a large oak on a knoll to the north. When I
      returned an hour later there was a single male sitting in the top of an oak
      along the creek. This is only 1/4 mile from the area where a group was
      present 1 Feb to 2 Mar 2001. Up close they certainly were the bluest of
      blues, even on a 'cloudy bright' day.
      There was also a FERRUGINOUS HAWK conspicuous in the area, LEWIS'S
      WOODPECKERS, a taiga MERLIN, and a SAY'S PHOEBE. Yesterday there were two
      AMERICAN DIPPERS under the old bridge on Potter Valley Road, singing and
      nest building.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA