Brants, Rock Wren, Thayer's Gull and Nashville Warbler

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 6:20 PM
      Fri Mar 1, 2013--For some reason 16 BRANT have made themselves at home on Van Damme SP Beach. I first saw them Monday (2/25/13) and then again today. When disturbed they fly out over the bay and land in the water far out near the rocks.

      Now that we are one day into Spring there are certain birds that get rarer. There was an adult THAYER'S GULL with a small gull flock near the creek at Virgin Creek. Further north on the rocks at Virgin Creek in a large flock of Black Turnstones and Surfbirds was a single ROCK SANDPIPER. The continuing Northern Pintails(3)in the creek seems a little late here on the coast where most other ducks have disappeared.

      At Glass Beach about 40 to 50 yards down the trail on the north side was a NASHVILLE WARBLER. I believe it's been there for sometime. Several weeks ago I saw what I thought could be a Nashville right at the parking lot. I didn't get very good looks at it. Today I got a better view. A CDF crew is currently clearing much of the vegetation in area. I don't know how far down the trail they're going.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River