Rock Wrens - yes/ Gallinute - no

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
      1 March 2013 - This morning Ryan Keiffer & I checked out the Coyote Dam for ROCK
      WRENS and found two between the pumping station and the south end of the dam.
      After that we went to look

      for the Common Gallinule at the lower, small Mendocino College pond (I saw one
      there about 2 weeks ago) and could only find two Am. coots. We checked the
      other two ponds, saw none, but did see an

      early GREEN HERON. We went back to the lower small pond just to make sure that
      we did not miss something, and unfortunately found a pile of Common Gallinule
      feathers near the east bank ... it looks like it was taken by a hawk, probably a
      red-shouldered, as the feathers were picked off but the carcass was absent.
      Good Birding! Bob Keiffer

    • Seth LaRosa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
        Wow! So that's where it went. I attend Mendocino College and walk those ponds a few times a week. I haven't recorded the gallinule since Feb 14th and I've been wondering where it could have gone. I never noticed the feathers though. The GRHE was first spotted by me and Allison Rofe this year on Jan 18th. I see it pretty much every time I walk through there, including today. I was surprised to see a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH today in between the two smaller ponds, I snapped a couple blurry pics. Also on Wednesday of this week I counted no less than 4 WILSON'S SNIPE around the front pond along the road. There may have been more even. I flushed out many groups that may have been the same birds but at one point there were 4 visible all at once. Thanks for the report on the COGA, looks like Ukiah has lost one of its rarer avian inhabitants.
        -Seth LaRosa
      • Steve Stump
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
          Bummer!