Osprey, Brant, and more Selasphorus

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2013
      27 February 2103 (Tuesday) - An Osprey was circling over Highway 1 at
      the entrance to Surfwood (just north of Mendocino) about 11:20 this
      morning. First one I've seen this spring (not counting the apparent
      over-wintering bird at the mouth of Elk Creek).

      On the way back home, just before 5 PM, there were 5 Brant on the beach
      at Van Damme, drinking from the stream before flying off over the cove.
      Also a Common Loon in the surf.

      More Selasphorus Hummingbirds have been arriving in my yard on Middle
      Ridge in Albion. I ddin't have a chance to try counting this morning,
      but there were several male Allen's and possibly a female. The
      distinctive ringing buzz of their wings can now be heard pretty much all
      the time.

      Question - Is anyone else still seeing/hearing Red-Breasted Nuthatch on
      the coast? I heard one here two days ago, but they seem to be mostly gone.

      Tim Bray
      Albion
    • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
        Thursday, Feb. 28th 2013
        Red-breasted Nuthatches still here in Anchor Bay in great numbers. Love their honking calls. Also of note is the northward migration of California Gulls. According to Rich Kuehn it began last Friday, Feb. 22nd. We saw them on Sunday the 24th and again on Monday the 25th. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, are riding the air currents just over the bluffs. They are quite lovely to see, seeming to accompany us as we drove along Highway One.
        Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay