Re: [Mendobirds] Grebe courtship

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2003
      I would like to second Vishnu's report on the startling starling phantasmagoria ("a constantly shifting complex succession of things seen or imagined.") Watching them whirl and swoop, transforming instantly from clouds of evenly spaced birds to dense undulating mobius strips to exploding fireworks is especially beautiful against the pink sky to the east. And sometimes a bit of sun touches them, adding golden magic to the show. Looking up through layers of birds, with one level going one way and the next going another direction and a higher level heading yet another way can be quite mesmerizing.

      I want to add that while the show started at 5:35 last night, it wasn't until almost 5:50 that two gigantic clouds of birds appeared in the east, swooping in from Lake County. So don't give up.

      (I thought I sent this a couple of days ago, but I sent it only to Vishnu because I only replied rather than replying to all).