easy Peregrine Falcon viewing

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2013
      18 February 2013 - Sunday - Ryan Keiffer and I went to look for White-throated Swifts at Frog Woman Rock ... several miles south of Hopland along Highway 101. Last year we saw some there in February ...but we did not see any this time. However, from the large Highway 101 pullout on the east side of the highway just east of the Frog Woman Rock (right where the northbound lane is closed down to one lane), we viewed the Peregrine Falcon pair coming and going from the rock face. This is probably one of the most easily viewed Peregrine nest sites in Mendocino County. A scope helps, but not necessary, and morning light may help even though we watched the birds in late afternoon/early evening.

      Oh, and sorry for my recent post about not finding Rock Wrens (not Rock Sandpipers as I mistakenly wrote) on the dam of Lake Mendocino.

      Good Birding. Bob Keiffer

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.