Re: [Mendobirds] Re: Help identify birds

  • Lisa Walker (Feather)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      I think 481 is a  Merlin :)

      --- On Mon, 2/18/13, larosaco <larosaco@...> wrote:

      From: larosaco <larosaco@...>
      Subject: [Mendobirds] Re: Help identify birds
      To: Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, February 18, 2013, 9:40 PM

      Ok, Thanks for the quiz. My 11 year old Sophia and I are going to give it a try. Here goes..

      520, 522 Hairy Woodpecker, female. Maybe a Downy woodpecker, tough call but judging by the solid white outer tail feathers we are going with Hairy.

      558, Nuttal's Woodpecker, male

      590,592 Red-shouldered Hawk

      633 American Goldfinch, female

      481, Sharp-shinned Hawk, possibly a Coopers Hawk

      pic 662 is a toughie, The male finch looks like a possible House finch, but the female in the foreground looks like a Purple Finch due to the striking white eyebrow, our final guess is they are a male and female Purple Finch. The goldfinch are also a little odd. I would say its a male and female Lesser Goldfinch, Sophia says Lesser GF on the left and a female American Goldfinch on the right. Split decision.

      I hope that helps a bit. I am sure a more experienced mendobirder can help answer more definitively. Thanks again for the challenge. -Seth and Sophia LaRosa