Help identify birds

  • Rhonda
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi I have a couple birds I need help identifying if anyone can help please. I posted them in an album called "Backyard birds and more"
      Thank You Rhonda Looney
    • larosaco
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
        Ok, Thanks for the quiz. My 11 year old Sophia and I are going to give it a try. Here goes..
        520, 522 Hairy Woodpecker, female. Maybe a Downy woodpecker, tough call but judging by the solid white outer tail feathers we are going with Hairy.
        558, Nuttal's Woodpecker, male
        590,592 Red-shouldered Hawk
        633 American Goldfinch, female
        481, Sharp-shinned Hawk, possibly a Coopers Hawk
        pic 662 is a toughie, The male finch looks like a possible House finch, but the female in the foreground looks like a Purple Finch due to the striking white eyebrow, our final guess is they are a male and female Purple Finch. The goldfinch are also a little odd. I would say its a male and female Lesser Goldfinch, Sophia says Lesser GF on the left and a female American Goldfinch on the right. Split decision.
        I hope that helps a bit. I am sure a more experienced mendobirder can help answer more definitively. Thanks again for the challenge. -Seth and Sophia LaRosa
        --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, "Rhonda" <looneys@...> wrote:

        > Hi I have a couple birds I need help identifying if anyone can help please. I posted them in an album called "Backyard birds and more"
        > Thank You Rhonda Looney

      • Lisa Walker (Feather)
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
          I think 481 is a  Merlin :)