American Dipper/Russian River

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2003
      Sunday, 09 Feb 2003, 1:30 PM, Observed two American Dippers on the large
      rock directly across the Russian River from the mouth of Pieta Creek. The
      birds eventually flew downstream. I suspect that this may be the pair
      that has nested in the cave at the base of Squaw (Indian Maiden) Rock in
      the past. During periods of Russian River high flow (muddy) I suspect
      that these birds forage up Pieta Creek. Access to the mouth of Pieta
      Creek along Highway 101 (several miles south of Hopland) is easy, simply
      park off the main highway and walk down to the gravel bar... this is state
      property (even though it has an old No Trespass sign from a past
      over-zealous nearby landowner).

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center