Recent birds at Willits WWTP - continuing Eurasian Wigeon and Barrow's Goldeneye

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013
      Monday, Feb. 18, 2013

      Dear Fellow birders:

      The female Barrow's Goldeneye was swimming around the first (s) pond this afternoon with a couple other female Common Goldeneyes.

      Other birds of note were a Merlin, a FOS Violet-Green Swallow mixed in with about 50 Tree Swallows, and a female Hooded Merganser. The male Eurasian Wigeon was still barely visible in the distant pond (about 4 or 500 yards north-east of the northernmost wastewater plant pond). It was mixed in with a group of several dozen American Wigeon while around 30 loafing Mallards watched from the far bank.

      The status of access to the ponds is still in flux. Dave Bengston, Jack Booth, and I were able to sign in this afternoon, but that may change soon. I'll pass along anything I learn.

      Good Birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits