Female Barrow's Goldeneye continues at Willits WWTP

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
      Tues, Feb 12, 2013

      Dear fellow birders,

      The Barrow's Goldeneye found by George Chanoit yesterday continues today at the first (southernmost) pond. I looked for it last night just before the plant closed and early this morning (in the fog) when the plant opened with no luck. I tried again at lunch (in the sun)and after I made a couple of trips around the pond, it suddenly appeared and mixed with four other Common Goldeneyes that had been foraging out in open water. I noticed immediately the steep forehead and darker brown (for a female) head. The bill was almost all orange, except for the tip, which was dark. I also noticed that the bill protrudes from the head more abruptly than that of the Common Goldeneyes and appears smaller too. I did not see it spread its wings. Having said all that, it is easy to overlook and assume it is a Common Goldeneye, and I have an idea that I may have done so until now. Live and learn.

      Good birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2013
        Fri, 15 Feb 2013 -- The female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE was seen again this
        morning from about 11:00 to 12:00 at the Willits Wastewater Treatment by Bob
        Keiffer, Ryan Keiffer, Chuck Vaughn, Steve Stump, and myself. It was seen
        in the company of three female Common Goldeneyes diving in the open water
        along the east side of the first pond you come to (the S. pond). There were
        good views from the car in good light at close range.
        The bad news is that the staff will soon be required to close public
        access to these ponds.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA