Willits WWTP - Eurasian Wigeon continues nearby

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2013
      Sun. Febr. 10, 2013

      Dear fellow birders:

      Dave Bengston and I spotted a Eurasian Wigeon in a distant pond East-North-east of the northern-most Wastewater Treatment Plant pond. The pond lies in a field about 4 or 5 hundred yards from the wastewater plant ponds, so you will need a scope to pick out particular birds. There were about 80 to 100 American Wigeon and a few Mallards sharing the same pond. Also, slightly closer to the wastewater plant from this distant pond were a couple of Canada Geese loafing in the grass.

      A Bald Eagle in second-year plumage made an appearance for a little while over the wastewater plant ponds. It has been seen on and off for the last couple of months. It has quite a bit of white on its back, so it is rather distinguishable. It likes to hunt the American Coots, as there are a couple of hundred scattered about the three ponds.

      A single male Gadwall, a few Common Goldeneyes, and a few Cinnamon Teal were mixed in with the usual suspects. We did not note any Hooded Mergansers, unfortunately.

      Good Birding!
      Mike Curry,
      Willits