Hull Mtn

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9 10:33 PM
      Hello all. Against much advice, David Vander Pluym, Austin Booth and I
      headed up to Hull Mountain today. Although it was snowy at the summit, we
      could drive almost all the way to the top. Highlites included CASSIN'S
      FINCH, singing CALIFORNIA THRASHERS and a whole mess of LESSER and AMERICAN
      GOLDFINCHES (it sounded like more than 40 birds) before the turn-off to Hull
      Mountain, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES on the road up,
      and STELLER'S JAY, COMMON RAVEN and WESTERN BLUEBIRD around the summit. We
      also heard a Woodpecker's long call at the summit area that seemed likely to
      have been a White-headed Woodpecker's, but we never saw the bird. At Lake
      Pilsbury we saw Mallards and Bufflehead on the lake, 24 Tule Elk on the
      shore, and a large flock of AMERICAN PIPITS on the landing strip. Down in
      Potter Valley, we saw 2 LEWIS' WOODPECKER, 2 HOODED MERGANSERS, a few
      AMERICAN WIGEON and about 20 RING-NECKED DUCKS on the pond at the end of
      Burris Lane. Also present was a SNOWY EGRET, which wasn't listed on the
      bird list. Also, the Nuthatches at Montgomery Woods yesterday were
      Red-breasted, not White-breasted, as I said previously. Got them mixed up.
      Thanks again to everyone who responded to my request for info. Good
      birding,
      Matt Brady