Lake Co. 2/5

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013
      On Tuesday, Karen Z., Linda P., and I birded Lake Co. We had a great day! Linda
      colored one more county blue, Karen added lots of birds to her lists, and I hit
      200! To do this we birded a variety of places: Grange Rd, Hidden Valley WTP,
      Callayomi Rd., Clear Lake Riviera area, Lakeport Library Park, Rodman
      Slough--Nice-Lucerne Cuttoff area, Reclamation Rd area, and then finished off
      the day at High Valley.

      Highlights included:

      2 Greater-white Fronted Geese and a Cackling Goose with the large flock of
      Canada's along the N side of Grange Rd. Close by was a Merlin posing at the top
      of a tree.

      The Burrowing Owl was still wintering on Callayomi Rd.near the top of 3rd dirt
      pile across the street from ranch house.

      WHITE-THROATED SPARROW coming to a feeder in the Clear Lake Riviera area. In a
      small patch of chemise on one of the roads, we pished up a CA Thrasher! I'm not
      sure who was the most surprised him or us! He checked us out carefully, never
      making a peep, and was maybe 15 ft. away. Closest encounter I've ever had.
      Also, lots of robins and waxwings feasting on the abundant berries on the trees
      and shrubs.

      A male Common Merganser, Horned Grebe & several Common Goldeneyes found off the
      Lakeport Library Park dock.

      Another GWF Goose in a pond along Lakeshore just S of Stokes.

      GW & Cinnamon Teal in the Nice-Lucerne Cuttoff pond.

      A huge flock of American Wigeon in a distant pond along the main road as soon
      as you enter High Valley. Unfortunately for us, poor lighting and distance
      prevented us from finding a Eurasian Wigeon, though there certainly was enough
      of wigeon there could easily have been one; a Loggerhead Shrike flying across
      the fields, and the last bird of the day was a calling GH OWL from the
      vineyard.

      Raptor wise it was a great day since we saw: RS & RT Hawks, Cooper’s & SS Hawk,
      Bald Eagles (both imm. & adults), WT Kites, a Loggerhead Shrike, Northern
      Harriers, kestrels, a Merlin, and a Peregrine Falcon. Still looking for a
      Prairie Falcon and RL Hawk in that county!

      Good Birding!
      Frances
      Lodi, CA