Willits WTP - Beautiful Ponds

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013
      Tue, 5 Feb, 2013 -- Early afternoon, I had time to investigate Willits WTP. Usually, I am
      hurrying south to Ukiah or home to the coast.  But today I had an extra 1+ hour(s) to
      drive around the area.  What a wonderful spot for waterfowl viewing!  An employee led
      me through the plant, across a bridge, and on to a series of three large ponds, half-filled
      with cattails and other reeds.  One drives on the levees around the ponds.  There are
      open fields and oaks to the east and the hills surrounding the valley.

      Among bird species I saw were: Hooded Merganser, Tree Swallows, White-tailed Kites,
      N Harrier, Common Goldeneyes, Wood Ducks, Cinnamon Teal, American Wigeon,
      Gadwall, Ring-necked Ducks, Green-winged Teal, N Shoveler, etc. (I did not see any
      Eurasian Wigeon or the hybrid Wigeon, darn).

      From Hwy 101, turn east on Commercial St, cross the RR tracks, turn north on N Lenore.
      Then follow the signs to turn east to the plant. Check in at the office (north of the two-story
      "building") or with an employee.  A nice man led me over the bridge to the south-most
      pond.  This is a driving "tour" - not a hike!   It was not apparent whether there is much
      area for shorebird activity during the late summer - early fall, but it is wonderful during
      the winter.  Thanks to Mike Curry for continuing to report on the sightings here.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile Area, MEN, Ca