Dark Song Sparrow

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      Hello all,

      For the past two days we have had a large dark Song Sparrow at our feeder.
      The bird is almost the same size as a Fox Sparrow and is very dark rusty, in
      obvious contrast to the regular Song Sparrows we have here. I have not had
      time to do the research on this, but am guessing that it is a Yakutat Song
      Sparrow that breeds in the Gulf of Alaska coast and some winter in the
      Pacific Northwest.

      Ron LeValley

      Little River (2 miles south of Mendocino on the Mendocino Coast)