American Crow on the Coast - Cleone

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2013
      Wed, 23 Jan, 2013 -- Mid-morning today I carefully watched an AMERICAN CROW
      just west of Hwy 1, a little north of the Cleone Grocery on Ward Ave.  I was driving
      slowly on Park Ave and turned onto Ward Ave, only 1 1/2 blocks from Hwy 1.  The
      American Crow was eating an earthworm on the pavement, and was undisturbed by
      my stopping about 15 ft from it.

      I could easily see several field marks for AMCR:  The size of the bird was notably
      smaller than several Common Ravens moving about the area.  The bill was slim
      and had NO feathering on the upper part of the bill (culmen).  The bird hopped up
      to a fence wire, and several seconds later, it flew back down Ward Ave.  I could see
      the tail very well - short, blunt and squared off at the tip.  This was unlike a raven's
      diamond-shaped, longer tail.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca