more canvasbacks

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
      January 17, 2012

      Yesterday there were 21 canvasbacks at Lake Pennyroyal, only 6 or so of them females.

      Also three wood ducks, a few ring-necks, some ruddies, and some mallards.

      Kate

      On Jan 17, 2013, at 9:17 PM, nexttothelastmanonearth wrote:

      > Thus. Jan. 17, 2013
      >
      > Dear Fellow Birders,
      >
      > Among about 80 American Wigeon, there were two Eurasion Wigeon in adult male plumage at the southern-most pond at the Willits Wastewater Plant this afternoon.
      >
      > There were also around a dozen or so Common Goldeneye scattered in all three ponds.
      >
      > The Willits WWTP is about 1/4 mile east of highway 101. To get there, travel east down Commercial Street(at the north end of Willits)from 101 and across the RR tracks. Turn left on North Lenore Avenue and follow it down to Sewer Plant Road and then turn right,following it to the plant. Be sure to check in at the office if you go. The ponds are through the plant across a flatcar bridge (a bit muddy) to the north-east a bit.
      >
      > Good birding!
      > Mike Curry
      > Willits

      Kate Marianchild
      Nature Writer
      katem@...

      Currently writing Secrets of the Oak Woodlands,
      a book of fascinating information about the plants
      and animals that live among California's oaks. My goal is
      is to motivate Californians to preserve our native oaks
      and the myriad species that live in association with them.
      Oak habitats collectively support more diversity of life
      than any other terrestrial ecosystems in California. To be
      published by Heyday in spring of 2014.