Re: Red-Naped Sapsucker at Riverside Park Ukiah

  • geogibbs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013

      Despite two misses yesterday, today at 3:15 I was able to find the RNSA. It was in a 4-trunked tree approx. 100 yards beyond the South border of the fenced BMX track, on the right side of the paved path. It was foraging for surface insects and not drilling at all. It was still in the same tree when I had to leave after about 20 minutes.

      A couple of poor photos are included with my eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12606845

      George Gibbs
      Ukiah

      --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" wrote:

      > My wife Uvea and I spotted what we thought to be the Red-Naped Sapsucker at Riverside Park Ukiah this morning. It flew away before we could take a complete look at it. A few minutes later we were able to call it in with our Audubon Birds Ipod app. We got really close good looks. We also came back after lunch around 12:30 and saw it several times again. We were also able to call a female Nuttall's Woodpecker in close. Thank you for the heads up.
      > Steve Stump

    • Kate Marianchild
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2013
        January 16, 2012, Lake Pennyroyal

        Ten male and four female canvasbacks were "tuling around" in the sunlit mists of Lake Pennyroyal this morning. Also about 10 ring-necks and 12 ruddies. Two male canvasbacks engaged in what appeared to be prolonged fighting, with much body contact, splashing, and dunking. One bout lasted for about a minute, I'd guess. Three canvasbacks have been here for about two weeks, joined by a few more a couple days ago, but this is the first time I've seen 14.
        I just found a great series of pictures of canvasbacks fighting and of one coming up with his head covered with mud, bill dripping mud, and eyes open.

        http://featheredphotography.com/blog/2010/11/16/canvasback-feeding-and-fighting-behavior/

        Last week I saw 20 wood ducks one afternoon��the most I've ever seen here at once.

        Pennyroyal is a large private pond NW of Ukiah.

        Kate

        Kate Marianchild
        Nature Writer
        katem@...

        Currently writing Secrets of the Oak Woodlands,
        a book full of fascinating information about the plants
        and animals that live among California's oaks. My goal is
        is to inspire Californians to preserve our native oaks
        and the myriad species that live in association with them.
        Oak habitats collectively support more diversity of life
        than any other terrestrial ecosystem in California. To be
        published by Heyday in spring of 2014.