Results of CAMN - "Manchester" CBC + Next Date

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2013
      First, we have decided to hold the next ( #114) CBC (Elk to Pt Arena Light)
      on Saturday, 4 January, 2014.   That should help some of you to kickstart
      your year list for 2014.

      As for this recent CBC, we had a grand total of 139 species.  Several things
      combined to delay the final results - apologies all round.  We had only one
      "Count Week" species, an Orange-crowned Warbler found by Cheryl Watson
      the day after count day.  Highlights included SANDHILL CRANE (Bob & Ryan
      Keiffer), GREEN HERON (Jeff Petit), PALM WARBLER (Diane Hichwa & Rich
      Trissel), and  PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER (Chuck Vaughn, Jerry White, mob).
      The weather was clear but cold.  Many birds stayed under cover and
      kept
      quiet, as well.  Only 8,674 individuals were noted by our bundled up counters.

      I am going to ask the hierarchy at Nat'l Audubon to allow us to change the
      official name of CAMN to Manchester, the nickname used by many.  The
      current name, Mendocino Coast, is now awkward, as the Fort Bragg count
      is on the Mendocino coast, also!  CAMN fits Manchester very well, so no code
      change is necessary -- hope I can get that point across....

      My SINCERE THANKS to the participants and to David Jensen for organizing the
      count and for providing dinner for those who could be at the compilation that
      evening!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

      Karen Havlena
      CAMN