Early Selasphorus, FB

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2013
      Saturday 12 January 2012 - After an excellent MCAS field trip to Ten
      Mile (thanks again David), I stopped at Rose Memorial Cemetery in Fort
      Bragg to see if the Orioles might present themselves. They did not.

      I met Seth and Allison from Ukiah, who were also hoping for orioles, and
      we did find a Nashville Warbler, briefly. Seth then found a female
      Selasphorus (Allens/Rufous) Hummingbird working the lower branches of a
      Banksia tree to the east of the "Sapsucker/Oriole" cluster. The bird
      seems to have staked out a small territory with two or three
      frequently-used perches. The odd thing about this bird, aside from it
      being here so early in the year, is that it appears to be in juvenile
      plumage; there is no central red spot on its throat.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Albion