4 WP afternoon

  • Vishnu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2013
      Saturday Jan 12, 1:30 - 3:00pm
      The Red-naped sapsucker reported by Seth LaRosa & Allison Rofe on Jan. 11
      continues at Riverside Park in Ukiah.
      The bird was seen in the same area as reported previously. Walking south on
      the new black-topped path with the BMX track to the right (west) and the
      river to the left (east) there is a small evergreen tree (Chinese Elm, I
      believe) which is just to the west of the path and adjacent to the BMX
      site. There are multiple fresh sap wells in this tree and twice the bird
      was seen to fly from there, across the path, to the leafless trees along
      the river. The bird returned to this tree for feeding. Very good views were
      afforded at all locations.
      Also drawn to the sap wells, possibly for insects, was a Yellow-rumped
      Warbler, "Myrtle's" race.
      Foraging in the trees along the river in this same location were also seen
      a Nuttall's, Acorn, and Hairy Woodpecker.

      (Riverside Park is at the far east end of East Gobbi St. The Park is always
      available to pedestrians but you must park outside the, generally locked,
      gate. Not advisable to drive in, even if the gate happens to be open, as
      your car could be locked in while you're Sapsuckering, or whatever.
      Vishnu

    • Jack Booth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2013
        Saturday Jan. 12, 10:15 -12:15 PM
        Neil and Andrea Davis, myself and wife searched about two hours. Mostly in the area near the evergreen tree with fresh sap wells. The red-naped sapsucker was not present at during this period while we were there. Jim Lomax arrived about 9:00 AM and left when we left and he did not see it either. We saw a red-breasted sapsucker several times. I guess we have to go back later. Jack Booth