Recent photos of "Al" and trying to figure out its date of arrival Fw: Mendonoma Sightings

  • Rick & Jeanne Jackson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
      Mendonoma SightingsHi All,
      I hope you can see the photos below, taken on Dec. 24th, and shared on my Mendonoma Sightings blog. A different photo will appear in tomorrow’s ICO (Independent Coast Observer).

      In regards to figuring out the date Al arrived, I submit the following. A visitor from Chicago – a birder – told Mel Smith he saw Al by the bell buoy at Point Arena on Dec. 6th. This sighting was not confirmed but it now seems very possible. We’ve had a lot of storms in the past several weeks and the Albatross goes to a hidden spot during storms. The first sighting by a local was on Saturday, Dec. 22nd and was confirmed by Jeff and Beth Petit on Dec. 24th and photographed on that afternoon by Mark Ricci as you will see below.

      So, what date will be chosen for Al’s arrival this year?

      Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
        Well, I see the photos were removed. If you’d like to see them, here’s the link: http://mendonomasightings.blogspot.com/2012/12/al-famous-laysan-albatross-has-returned.html

        Best, Jeanne