Fort Bragg CBC

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
      Saturday 22 December 2012 - Highlights of the Fort Bragg Christmas Bird
      Count included Yellow-Headed Blackbird, Black-Headed Grosbeak,
      Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Nashville Warbler, Redhead, and Heermann's Gull,
      as well as many other excellent birds. Provisional total for the day was
      144 species, quite a respectable tally under the circumstances.

      Many, many thanks to the Area Leaders and all the dedicated folks who
      showed up in spite of the unpromising weather. (We did catch a nice break
      of dry weather and even some sunshine, from about 5:30 AM until after
      noon.) The cheerful mood at the Count Dinner was marvelous.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      CAFB Compiler

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013
        Our tally at the Count Dinner last night was 148 species (not 165 as I
        mistakenly announced). While we were cleaning up, Mike Stephens came in
        to report a Barred Owl; and today I got verbal reports of 3 more
        species, including two from a feeder-watcher, so if those are confirmed
        we will be at 152.

        Rare/unusual birds included:
        Eurasian Wigeon, Lake Cleone
        Black-and-white Warbler, Lake Cleone (photographed)
        Bullock's Oriole, Rose Memorial (stakeout bird)
        Green Heron, Ocean Lake pond
        Black-footed Albatross, 4.5 miles offshore

        Count Week total is 155 so far, including the Bittern, Redheads, and
        Dunlin reported by R. Hubacek on Friday (Dunlin re-found today by D.
        Tobkin).

        Big thanks to the Area Leaders for getting their teams together and
        covering their territories so thoroughly, to K. Havlena for reserving
        the boat, and all the participants for making this Count so successful.
        Special thanks to J. Steele and A. Liebenberg for running the best-yet
        Count Dinner!

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        CAFB Compiler
      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2014
          Believe it or not, the Christmas Bird Count season starts in less than 2
          months! The Fort Bragg CBC falls on Saturday December 20 this year.

          E-mail me if you are planning to join us, or if you have questions. If
          you participated last year and want to re-join the same team, just get
          in touch with whoever led your Area.

          Last year was epic, and I have high hopes for this one as well. See you
          at the Count Dinner!

          Cheers,
          Tim Bray
          CAFB Compiler
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2015
            The 5th Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count will be held on SUNDAY December 27, 2015.

            A map of the Circle, with Area boundaries and contact information for the Area Leaders, can be found here:
            http://g.co/maps/4fd2p
            Feel free to contact any of the Leaders directly to join a team, or contact me if you don't know where you would like to bird.  We can use more birders!

            We will have teams birding in almost every conceivable way, and there are teams open for anyone regardless of experience level.

            Count Dinner will be held at the Caspar Community Center, which will be open from about 4 PM.  Salad and lasagne will be provided; please bring your own utensils, to save us the trouble of washing-up.

            More information, including downloadable Checklists, can be found at the Mendocino Coast Audubon Society website:
            http://mendocinocoastaudubon.org/

            Hope you can join us!
            Tim Bray
            CAFB Compiler

          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 26, 2015
              Tomorrow (Sunday) is the Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count.  Perversely, the weather forecast calls for 60% chance of rain starting at 11 AM... the only moisture in 10 days.
              So, bird like mad in the morning!

              Caspar Community Center will be open from about 4 PM.  Hot food will be ready around 5.  Please bring your own eating utensils if you can, to make cleanup easier.

              Count Week started Thursday and runs through Wednesday, so please report any good sightings to me, or post them here, or on eBird.

              Manchester count is next Saturday Jan. 2 (no rain).
              --
              Cheers,
              Tim
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2016

                Mendocino Coast Audubon will hold its Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count on Monday, December 26.   There are teams going on foot, bicycle, kayak, by car, and possibly a party-boat going out on the ocean. If you would like to join one of those, get in touch with me  (tbray@...), or contact one of the Area Leaders listed on the Circle map:  http://g.co/maps/4fd2p

                Not quite sure you want to commit to a whole day, or maybe you don't feel like your birding skills are ready yet but you'd like to find out how a Christmas Bird Count works?  Sarah Grimes has set up a couple of quick introductions to the Christmas Bird Count:
                12:00-1:00 - Meet at the Mendocino Cafe in Mendocino for a lunch hour Feeder Watch. Order a cup of tea or coffee or even a glass of wine while you count the birds that visit the feeders at the cafe.
                1:00-2:00 - Bird Mendocino Village - Meet at Out of This World in Mendocino for a one-hour bird walk around downtown Mendocino.

                Sarah is also coordinating the Feeder Watch for those who want to count at home.  Contact her for instructions and checklist:  zewa@...

                Ocean conditions permitting, the Ambush will take a birding party out of Noyo harbor at 1 pm for a 2-hour trip to the western edge of the Circle, about 5 miles offshore.  This will be a game-day decision based on ocean conditions.  If you are interested in going out, contact me for details: tbray@... or text to 734-0791.

                Count Dinner is at the Caspar Community Center.  Hall opens around 4 PM, salad and lasagna will be ready around 5.  I'm bringing homebrewed beer and cider to share.
                --
                Cheers,
                Tim