Fort Bragg CBC

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2012
      Saturday 22 December 2012 - Highlights of the Fort Bragg Christmas Bird
      Count included Yellow-Headed Blackbird, Black-Headed Grosbeak,
      Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Nashville Warbler, Redhead, and Heermann's Gull,
      as well as many other excellent birds. Provisional total for the day was
      144 species, quite a respectable tally under the circumstances.

      Many, many thanks to the Area Leaders and all the dedicated folks who
      showed up in spite of the unpromising weather. (We did catch a nice break
      of dry weather and even some sunshine, from about 5:30 AM until after
      noon.) The cheerful mood at the Count Dinner was marvelous.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      CAFB Compiler

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
        Our tally at the Count Dinner last night was 148 species (not 165 as I
        mistakenly announced). While we were cleaning up, Mike Stephens came in
        to report a Barred Owl; and today I got verbal reports of 3 more
        species, including two from a feeder-watcher, so if those are confirmed
        we will be at 152.

        Rare/unusual birds included:
        Eurasian Wigeon, Lake Cleone
        Black-and-white Warbler, Lake Cleone (photographed)
        Bullock's Oriole, Rose Memorial (stakeout bird)
        Green Heron, Ocean Lake pond
        Black-footed Albatross, 4.5 miles offshore

        Count Week total is 155 so far, including the Bittern, Redheads, and
        Dunlin reported by R. Hubacek on Friday (Dunlin re-found today by D.
        Tobkin).

        Big thanks to the Area Leaders for getting their teams together and
        covering their territories so thoroughly, to K. Havlena for reserving
        the boat, and all the participants for making this Count so successful.
        Special thanks to J. Steele and A. Liebenberg for running the best-yet
        Count Dinner!

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        CAFB Compiler
      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2014
          Believe it or not, the Christmas Bird Count season starts in less than 2
          months! The Fort Bragg CBC falls on Saturday December 20 this year.

          E-mail me if you are planning to join us, or if you have questions. If
          you participated last year and want to re-join the same team, just get
          in touch with whoever led your Area.

          Last year was epic, and I have high hopes for this one as well. See you
          at the Count Dinner!

          Cheers,
          Tim Bray
          CAFB Compiler