Three-Falcon Day at MCBG; Caspar ducks continue

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2012
      19 December 2012 (Wednesday) - On the regular third-Wednesday MCAS
      birdwalk at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, six observers tallied
      49 species, a surprisingly high number under the conditions. Highlight
      was a MERLIN who soared directly overhead, allowing great looks for a
      few seconds. Later, a Peregrine flew past us, and half our group
      happened to be looking in the right direction. A Kestrel perched on a
      telephone pole and visible from the parking lot rounded out the Falconidae.

      After lunch, we stopped at the Caspar Pond, where we met Sara Grimes and
      found the two male Redheads, a male and female Gadwall, three male and
      three female Ring-Necked Ducks, and one Ruddy Duck; along with four
      Pied-Billed Grebes, one male Common Merganser, and lots of American Coots.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Albion