Ferruginous Hawk

  • Linda Perkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
      Fri. December 14 - Fort Bragg
      This afternoon I made a quick trip out to Bald Hill north of Fort Bragg
      and saw a ferruginous hawk who treated us to a nice display of wheeling
      about, hovering over the fields, perching on a fence post and then soaring
      off again.
    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23

        22 February 2015 – Sunday – I normally don’t post Ferruginous Hawks … but even as winter visitors they are a bit scarce in the Yokayo and Sanel Valley regions (Ukiah & Hopland).   I observed a lone Ferruginous Hawk flying low over a vineyard next to the Crofoot Ranch about 4 miles north of Hopland.   As I drove on Highway 101, I watched the bird paralleling me about 200 feet away, a red-tailed dove on it from above.  The Ferruginous Hawk rolled over in the air and the two interlocked feet and the two began spiraling and falling towards the vineyard floor.  A second Red-tailed Hawk was also about 50 feet away.   By that time I had passed and did not have time to turn around to figure out the outcome.  I hope they negotiated a peaceful outcome.  Good Birding.  Bob Keiffer  Hopland   rjkeiffer@...     rjkeiffer@...