Evening Grosbeaks and Bald Eagles in Willits

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2012
      Thus. Dec. 13, 2012

      Dear Fellow Birders:

      This morning about 9 am I noted 8 Evening Grosbeaks in a walnut tree just south of Paradise Cafe (across the street from my office). They were gone when I returned at 11 am. Paradise Cafe is about 100 yards south of the Main St. Post Office (cross street at post office is East Valley Street) on Highway 101 in Willits.

      At the Willits Wastwater Treatment Plant, there are plenty of birds of prey (Cooper's Hawk, White-tailed Kite, Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier, Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Turkey Vulture, and Red-shouldered Hawk), including two Bald Eagles, one adult and one 2nd year. The carrion eaters are there for the fast disappearing salmon carcasses in the creeks nearby.

      Good Birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits