Van Damme

  • Dennis Braddy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 7:18 PM
      MendoBirders,

      The Boy Scouts camped across from the visitor's center at Van Damme State
      Park were feeding the birds this morning. The GRAY JAYS that we drove 3
      hours to see were everywhere.

      A nearby tree was filled with dozens of grooming PINE SISKINS. Also seen
      from the visitor's center were CALIFORNIA QUAIL (shoulder-to-shoulder on an
      elevated feeder), ACORN WOODPECKER, STELLER'S JAY (terrorizing the quail),
      AMERICAN ROBIN, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.

      A few minutes of birding past the last occupied campsite yielded several
      each of VARIED THRUSH, HERMIT THRUSH, WINTER WREN, FOX SPARROW, SONG
      SPARROW, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, COMMON RAVEN, and a single BROWN CREEPER. The
      Winter Wrens sang beautifully.

      Dennis and Patricia Braddy
      San Ramon