Black Scoter (?) - Brant

  • birdmanofthewoods3
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2012
      I was out at MacKerricker cove yesterday and got excited because I thought I might be seeing a Black Scoter there for the first time. This single bird was about as drab as a scoter can be, pretty far out and I finally gave up and identified it as some sort of first year, female "scoter". Now that I see that Karen saw some Black Scoters north of there, I'm not so sure it wasn't a Black Scoter afterall...

      Anyway, I did see a late Brant grooming on the beach right in front of the parking lot and that identification I was able to nail a lot easier. Such a noble bird and one of my favorites. I got a good picture. Posted on Mendobirds below:

    • Dennis Olivarez
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
        I was also at MacKerricker and spent over an hour watching grebes both near and far as well as a single scoter (black) and a single male scaup. I could find no white marking of any kind on the scoter and so I believe it to be a black.
        Also 1 T vulture and 2 oystercatchers with the ravens and gulls. The lake had a few gulls, hundreds of coots but only 2 pie billed.

        from the great beyond (or possibly an IPhone)