Redhead, Bald Eagle, Eurasian Wigeon at Willits WWTP

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2012
      Sat. Dec. 8, 2012

      Dear Fellow Birders,

      It was nice birding on a beautiful day at the Willits Wastewater Treatment Plant this afternoon. I took a break from shopping and stopped for a quick look. The Eurasion Wigeon is still there, but I did not see the hybrid Eurasian/American Wigeon. A 2nd year bald eagle was perched (if eagles perch)in an oak tree on the east side of the middle pond and I spied a Redhead later in the middle pond.

      Actually, I am not 100 percent sure of my id of the Redhead. I had to view it from across the middle pond, and it seemed too small for what I thought should be a large duck. It was associating with four Buffleheads and it was diving regularly. It has a red head, yellow eye with dark center, dark grey chest with what appeared to be a narrow white stripe vertically centered on the chest, dark tail, with a light spot, and what does not jive with a Redhead, a grey chest (not black) and belly. I plan to return tomorrow morning to try to get a second look.

      By far, most of the birds there are American Coots (about 500). Still plenty of birds of prey.

      Good birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits