Western Screech Owl

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2012
      This morning a Western Screech Owl ran into one of my big living room windows here on Burris Lane.
      He was still flopping when I looked, but was dead by the time I got a box to protect him from the cold and the cats.
      Even though I occasionally hear them in the early dawn hours, this is the first Screech Owl I have seen here in forty years.
      It is also only one of under ten of any kind of owl seen here during this period, including a three or four noisily mobbed by crows.

      In looking for information on the species, I found a really well done webpage dedicated to owls:

      http://www.owling.com/index.html

      It loads quickly on my dial-up internet connection and has great photos and sound bytes among other features.

      Jim Armstrong
      Potter Valley