Burrowing Owls/Butts Canyon Rd/Middletown

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2012
      I had two Burrowing Owls in view at the same time at 9:30am this morning on
      Callayomi Rd., off of Butts canyon Rd., near Middletown. The point at which
      I could see both owls at once was about 100 yards past the first house
      which has the address 21751 Callayomi Rd. The closest owl was back toward
      the house, but on the opposite side of the road on a mound of dirt about 50
      yards out into the field. The second owl was on a more distant mound of
      dirt east of Callayomi Rd way out near the second wire fence. A spotting
      scope is needed for the second location. It was overcast, probably a very
      good day for Burrowing Owls to be out. There was a Prairie Falcon perched
      in an oak north of BC Rd near the intersection of Triple Y Rd and a
      Ferruginous Hawk along BC Rd about one quarter mile east of Callayomi Rd.
      Further east there was a continuing Lewis's Woodpecker in the row of
      Eucalyptus trees on the north side of BC Rd and the previously reported
      group of Lewis's Woodpeckers near the west end of Detert Resovoir.

      On the way home, I saw a Rock Wren east of Lucerne near Hwy 20 mile marker
      19.58. The wren was on the exposed rocky hill on the north side of the
      highway.

      David Woodward
      Lakeport