Napa & Lake Cos.

  • Kathryn Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2012
      Napa Co. - 200 (at last!)

      Late this morning I was able to see 2 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS on the Napa Valley Vine Trail that runs up the east side of the Water Treatment Plane on Dunaweal Lane in Calistoga. I got a quick glimpse of a white-striped bird as it hopped up on a small branch to fly away, but a tan-striped bird cooperatively perched on the top of a chainlink fence for a good long look. Both birds were with a flock of Golden-crowned Sparrows that was working both sides of the trail along the second pond. Nice bird to have for #200 in Napa Co.

      Lake Co. -

      George Chaniot and I were able to find the scruffy young male SURF SCOTER a bit north of the Third Street Pier in Lakeport, but could not find the Long-Tailed Duck. We also saw a male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE and a probable female with him.
      At Lakeside Park the Canada Goose flock also included at least 3 CACKLING GEESE, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and an immature SNOW GOOSE.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos