Hooded Mergansers in Willits - Reynold's Highway

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012
      Sunday Dec. 2, 2012

      Dear fellow birders:

      This afternoon, Ollie Kolkmann and I birded the Willits Wastewater Plant and along Highway 101 between Willits and Reynold's Highway (about 4 miles north of Willits)and then south along the Reynold's Highway for about two or three miles.

      The Wastewater Plant was slow, except for some salmon carcasses that were stranded by last nights floodwaters along the creek. There were many Turkey Vultures taking advantage. There was a first-of-season female Bufflehead and an Eared Grebe in one of the ponds. We got very good looks at a cooperative Cooper's Hawk in a tree.

      Along 101, we saw a single male Hooded Merganser in the floodwaters,and then about 4 or 5 more along Reynold's Highway, along with the usual Wood Ducks, Mallards, Buffleheads, and coots. Birds of prey along the highway were unremarkable.

      The area north of the Willits Skateboard Park is mostly flooded. Bring tall waterproof boots if you are feeling adventurous.

      Good Birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits