Burris Lane, Potter Valley

  • gchaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2012
      Sun,02 Dec 2012 - I ventured out after the rain quit today to inspect the washed out driveways and downed branches around the valley. At the end of Burris Lane I found a BURROWING OWL sitting in the mouth of a burrow near where one spent a couple of months a few years ago. The burrow is to the SW of the top of the knoll toward the bottom of the facing hill. It is the burrow with the freshest-looking diggings.
      Also active in the area were three LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS- mostly in the oaks to the E of the pond. One was caching acorns in a crack in the utility pole nearest the top of the knoll. On the last several visits I have seen them even before I stopped the car. This is a good chance to get killer views at close range of this scarce and irregular species.
      Full list here:
      <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12208163>

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA