Orange-crowned Warbler

  • Arthur Morley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
      During the recent few weeks I have seen a OCWA feeding at my hummingbird feeder, as I did through the previous winter season. I wonder if anyone else knows of this behavior. What about other warbler species?

      OCWAs are known to feed on flower nectar, so why not feeder syrup? Last winter, while the warbler was at the feeder, the dominant male Anna's seemed to tolerate the warbler, but perched within a foot of the feeder until the warbler was finished. This year both the male and female Anna's will approach the Orange-crown within 6" and they have a face-off. The warbler remains perched at the feeder until it finishes eating.

      Any other such observations?

      Art Morley, Fort Bragg.

    • mendobirder707
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23 7:59 PM
        Today, around 14:30, I spotted Orange-crowned Warblers at the Redwood Valley Outdoor Education Project. I saw some up in the oak trees by the entrance, and more along the wildflower trail in the grove of young live oaks down the hill. In addition, I had a lot of fun yesterday (3/22/14) at the beginners' walk at the Ukiah WTP, and with the help of some amazing mendobirders tallied 52 birds:

        Acorn woodpecker

        American Coot

        American crow

        American Goldfinch

        American Widgeon

        Anna's Hummingbird

        Black Phoebe

        Brewers Blackbird

        Bufflehead

        California Towhee

        Canada Goose

        Cliff Swallow

        Common yellowthroat

        Double-crested Cormorant

        Golden-crowned sparrow

        Great-blue heron

        Greater scaup

        Green-winged teal

        House finch

        Kildeer

        Lesser Goldfinch

        Lincoln sparrow

        Mallard

        Marsh wren

        Merlin

        Northern Flicker

        Northern Mockingbird

        Northern rough-winged swallow

        Northern Shoveler

        Nuttals woodpecker

        Oak titmouse

        Osprey

        Pied-billed grebe

        Raven

        Red-shouldered Hawk

        Red-tailed Hawk

        Red-winged Blackbird

        Ring-necked duck

        Robin

        Rock dove

        Ruddy Duck

        Savannah Sparrow

        Song Sparrow

        Spotted towhee

        Starling

        Tree swallow

        Turkey vulture

        Violet-green Swallow

        Western Bluebird

        White-crowned sparrow

        Wilsons Snipe

        Wrentit

        Yellow-rumped warbler

      • Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 5:32 AM
          Another message with no name...Mendobirds instructions are that you
          "Please include the date of observation, your full name, and general
          location in the body of the message."

          Thanks, Chuck

          --
          Chuck and Barbara Vaughn