possible Cassin's Sparrow update

  • Robert Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2012
      19 November 2012 - This is an update on the reported possible Cassin's Sparrow from Covelo. Photos and some description notes have been sent to a few
      select ornithology experts. Thus far, Peter Pyle and Guy McCaskie are both confident that the bird in question is a bright GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. Pyle suggests
      that is it possibly one of the "bright eastern birds".... and says that similar birds often mislead interns at the Farallones. Even though the observation is not quite as exciting as a Cassin's .... the observation and documentation is still great for Mendocino County records ... and a great learning experience for those who saw it. Good birding. Bob Keiffer.

      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
      4070 University Rd.
      Hopland, CA 95449
      707-744-1424 ext. 112
      Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2012
        Looks like others I've seen in CA at this time of year, so would assume that it is one of our local birds and not from the East

        John Sterling

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 908-3836