Lake Co.

  • Frances Oliver
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 11, 2012
      Yesterday, Linda Pittman, Liz West and I birded Lake County. Spent the day
      showing Linda all the great places to bird in Lake. What a great day we
      had! Plus seeing a variety of Raptors is always a treat. Throughout the day we
      saw both SHARP-SHINNED & COOPER'S HAWKS; multiple RED-SHOULDERED & RED-TAILED
      HAWKS, a FERRUGINOUS HAWK; both GOLDEN & BALD EAGLES; multiple NORTHERN HARRIERS
      & KESTREL'S; 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS,and a few WT KITES. Many of the expected ducks
      were at Borax Lake & Detert Reservoir. Only shorebird was a Killdeer. The
      Burrowing Owl was a no show today.

      Borax Lake highlight included: 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS sitting out (almost
      side-by-side) on the mud flats; a HORNED LARK sitting next to one of the tires
      on the same mud flats; and at some point a Sharpie flew around the oak trees
      next to the lake.

      Around the Hidden WTP area we saw the majority of our Raptors including: a
      COOPER'S HAWK, both Golden & Bald Eagle, a few AM Kestrels, N. Harriers, RT
      Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk, and lots of Ravens!

      Boggs Mt. State Forest also did not disappoint either!  Both Hairy & Downy
      Woodpeckers, all 3 nuthatches, Golden-crowned Kinglets, with several Red
      Crossbills calling as they flew over.  And new for me was a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE
      just sitting quietly on a tree branch in the campground.

      Getting closer to 200!

      Frances
      Lodi, CA