Solitary Sandpiper

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2001
      Greetings: I went to the Ukiah sewage treatment plant oxidation ponds this
      morning. Things were very quiet, even along the river. The first Yellow
      Warbler males of the season have arrived, singing among the plague of
      Brown-headed Cowbirds which outnumber them on the order of 25 or 50 to
      1. Last weekend's Blue-winged Teal pair have left, but there was a
      Solitary Sandpiper on the west end of the middle pond where there is still
      standing water.

      Chuck Vaughn

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482
    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2001
        This morning at 8:00 at the Ukiah sewage ponds I refound the SOLITARY
        SANDPIPER reported by Chuck over the weekend. The bird was initially on
        the "bubbler" but then flew to the west end of the central long pond.

        Good Birding.
        Matthew Matthiessen
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 15, 2005
          15 August 2005 - Monday - This afternoon there was a lone juvenile Solitary
          Sandpiper (as opposed to a solitary lonely sandpiper) on a private pond
          near the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center.

          There were also 6 Western Sandpipers and many Killdeer along the shore of
          this pond .... which is of local note: when sandpiper sp. show up in the
          inland Hopland area it means that migration is in full swing for
          shorebirds. If you have a chance to bird the coastal shore, Lake
          Mendocino, or the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant soon you might have a chance
          of finding good shorebirds! Good Birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          Theodore Roosevelt

        • Janet
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2005
            A friend just sent me a book titled How To Be A (Bad)
            Birdwatcher by Simon Barnes. It is a slim volume but
            absolutely delightful in it's approach to
            observing/being with nature and I heartily recommend it.

            Janet Rosen
            http://www.zanshinart.com
            "Common people like you and me
            will be builders for eternity
            Each is given a bag of tools,
            a faceless mask, and a book of rules"--the Heptones

            __________________________________
            Yahoo! Mail
          • chaniot@pacific.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 21, 2006
              Fri, 21 Apr 2006 -- Today at noon there was a SOLITARY SANDPIPER on the
              edge of the pond on Burris Lane in Potter Valley. Hiding behind the bank
              was another shorebird, perhaps a yellowlegs. No Tricolored Blackbirds have
              been apparent recently.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013

                9/9/13 0744 am

                There is a Solitary Sandpiper at the Ukiah /wastewater Treatment Plant this am. It is in the middle pond feeding. Steve Stump

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 14, 2014
                  4/14/14 0923

                  At 0923 this am, there is a Solitary Sandpiper at the Ukiah WWTP. It is located in the ditch west of the middle pond where the tall Oaks are. Steve Stump
                • stevestump
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 29, 2014

                    8/29/14 0640

                    There is a Solitary Sandpiper at the Ukiah WWTP in the North Pond. Steve Stump

                  • stevestump
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 19
                      4/19/15 0745

                      There is a Solitary Sandpiper at the Ukiah WWTP. Steve Stump