Willits Skateboard Park Ponds North - Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2012
      November 6, 2012

      Dear fellow birders,

      This morning I birded the fields and dry ponds to the north of the Willits Skateboard Park. Best bird was an adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker foraging in the trees along the creek along the east side of the northern dry pond (about half-way up the east side). I noticed a few sapsucker holes in the trees along the creek, so hopefully it will remain for a while.

      To get to this area, drive about 1/4 mile east or so from 101 Highway in Willits on Commercial. Just across the tracks and past the Roots of Motive Power (trains) area on the left is a skateboard park. Park in the gravel skateboard park parking lot and walk around the east side of the park. Walk through the hemlock/teasel via a thin trail into the fields to the north of the park. Past the large partially covered brush pile are the two dry (for now) old wastewater ponds. The pond levees have been roughly mown, so walking is fairly easy. Total distance to walk is about 400 to 500 yards, I guess.

      Good birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits

      cell 916-214-8623