Turdus migratorius & Sturnus vulgaris revisited

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2003
      The great American Robin and European Starling convocation at the north end
      of Lake Mendocino (as first anounced in a post last Sunday) continues
      unabated every evening beginning at about 4:45 and reaching its climax
      sometime before 5:15.
      In drizzly wet weather the show is attenuated but on brighter days it is
      truly astonishing. It turns out that the best place to view is standing
      right in the middle of Marina Dr. near the Kyen Campground entrance which
      places you dead center in the middle of the nightly roost.
      I have come up with no satisfactory analogy but my recurring images while
      watching those swirling birds are of a fireworks display; of looking into
      the Milky Way through a rich field telescope and of "special effects" a la'
      George Lucas. Bring some children.
      Vishnu