Elegant Tern, Lapland Longspur, Caspian Tern, Greater-White Fronted Goose Nov 2

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2012
      Jack Booth & I birded the Mendocino Coast today, 11.2.12. At Laguna Point we spotted an Elegant Tern from the 1st observation deck looking west. It was perched on a rock. We also saw a Greater-White Fronted Goose directly west of us on the beach just after we drove under the Old Haul Rd. going to the parking lot. When we returned to the car after hiking out to the Point we were greeted by the squawks of a Caspian Tern doing circles and then heading west.

      Directly at Laguna Point we could see a feeding frenzy to the southwest made up hundreds of birds, most of them to far to identify to species. There were gulls of course, shearwaters, Common Murres, Pelicans, Cormorants, Loons, etc. All day long we could see Surf Scoters and Brown Pelicans heading south.

      At Mendocino Headlands we refound the Lapland Longspur, a life bird for both of us. Thanks to all the people who posted this, including Lisa, Karen & Rich. It was just a little ways south of the Memorial. The only other nice bird there for us was an American Pipit.

      We did not see anything really significant anywhere else. There was a nice mixed flock of Kinglets and Red-breasted Nuthatches at the mouth of the Navarro along with several Pacific Loons. We found nothing special at Caspar Ponds. We could not refind the Palm Warbler as found by Karen Havlena. We did not see anything special at Rose Memorial Gardens.

      Dave Bengston
      Ukiah
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2012
        Longspur continued yesterday by the monument.

        From town of Mendocino, The monument is on Heeser Drive at the first of only 3 or 4 pullouts along Heeser drive (west side of the road). Its the largest parking area along the headlands. The monument is a stone with an engraving/ plaque... (At least that's what we figured...)-not the tiki wood statue...

        The bird stayed in the brush (lots of Savannah sparrows in the area too) and ocasionally flew down toward the lower trails on the bluffs nearer to the ocean, only to come right back up to the area of the monument. Each time the bird flew we heard a distinct call.

        Nice to see you Tim!

        Sarah Wagner and Dave Flaim
        Sent from my iPhone