Burris Lane, Potter Valley

  • gchaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2012
      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 - I spent about 45 minutes this morning at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley and saw some nice birds. There were four LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS in the tops of the oaks near the pond. In the last month I have seen them on about half of my visits,and I think they are picking up. A PRAIRIE FALCON made a low pass overhead in good light. There was a possible Burrowing Owl to the north, but the heat shimmer was too great to be sure.
      At the low point in the road before the pond there was a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW among Golden-crowneds
      At my feeders PINE SISKINS continue to swarm the thistle seed, and a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH continues to visit daily.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • gchaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2012
        Sun,02 Dec 2012 - I ventured out after the rain quit today to inspect the washed out driveways and downed branches around the valley. At the end of Burris Lane I found a BURROWING OWL sitting in the mouth of a burrow near where one spent a couple of months a few years ago. The burrow is to the SW of the top of the knoll toward the bottom of the facing hill. It is the burrow with the freshest-looking diggings.
        Also active in the area were three LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS- mostly in the oaks to the E of the pond. One was caching acorns in a crack in the utility pole nearest the top of the knoll. On the last several visits I have seen them even before I stopped the car. This is a good chance to get killer views at close range of this scarce and irregular species.
        Full list here:
        <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12208163>

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA