Palm Warbler in Willits WWTP

  • nexttothelastmanonearth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2012
      Wed, Oct. 10, 2012

      Dear Birders,

      I birded the Willits Wastewater Treatment Plant and ponds today. Best bird was a Palm Warbler. It was foraging in the rushes in the southern pond on the east side, tail pumping away.

      Other birds of note include a late Black-throated Grey Warbler, Ring-necked Duck, and an Eared Grebe.

      Wigeon, pintails, mallards, shovelers, and coots are increasing in numbers.

      The Willits WWTP is about 1/4 mile east of highway 101. To get there, travel east down Commercial Street (at the north end of Willits) from 101, turn left on North Lenore Avenue and follow it down to Sewer Plant Road and then turn right, following it to the plant. The is construction going on, so be sure to check in at the office if you go. The ponds are through the plant to the north-east a bit.

      Good Birding!
      Mike Curry
      Willits