Fort Bragg Pelagic Results 10/7/12

  • Tony Kurz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2012
      A great day for a Pelagic Trip! Sea conditions were very good. So good I'm not sure if the birds favored the conditions. Regardless of the very calm sea there were birds and even some cool mammals! We ended up with 19 species. The boat had 20 participants and the 3 trip leaders included: Ron LeValley, Jon Dunn, and Tony Kurz.

      Highlight species:

      1 SOUTH POLAR SKUA- about 6 miles out.
      1 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER- We all had great looks at this bird about 6.1 miles out. It hung around the boat for a while with Pink-footed Shearwater's.

      Species List:

      Surf Scoter- 25
      Common Loon- 2
      Eared Grebe- 2
      Black-footed Albatross- 17
      Northern Fulmar- 17
      Pink-footed Shearwater- 201
      *Flesh-footed Shearwater- 1
      Buller's Shearwater- 17
      Sooty Shearwater- 27
      Red-necked Phalarope- 4
      Western Gull- 188
      California Gull- 244
      Herring Gull- 5
      South Polar Skua- 1
      Pomarine Jaeger- 5
      Common Murre- 48
      Pigeon Guillemot- 1
      Cassin's Auklet- 125
      Rhinoceros Auklet- 40

      We did have a small passerine flying with the boat for a while about 5 miles out. We thought it may have been a Kinglet sp. but not sure. That was pretty cool.

      For anyone on the boat interested in a ebird list. I have attached the link to the list just below. Then you can share it with yourself.

      I also included a list for species seen in Noyo Harbor

      Brandt's Cormorant- 1
      Double-crested Cormorant- 4
      Pelagic Cormorant- 3
      Black Oystercatcher- 1
      Spotted Sandpiper- 1
      Black Turnstone- 4
      Heerman's Gull- 3
      Western Gull- 20

      Marine Mammals:
      Humpback Whale
      White-sided Dolphin
      Northern Right Whale Dolphin
      Dall's Porpoise

      California Sea Lion
      Northern Fur Seal

      Thank you Karen Havlena for getting this trip together!
      Also a thanks to Captain Randy for providing the boat!

      Good Birding,

      Tony Kurz
      Arcata
      Humboldt County