Humboldt Pelagic and other birding activities Oct 13-14th

  • Robert Hewitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2012
      Dear Birding Neighbors,

      I wanted to highlight our upcoming event in two weekend's time.
      Designed as an e-event we are relying on electronic media to promote
      this "Mini-fest" I would like to warmly invite any of you to attend -
      just visit www.godwitdays.org <http://www.godwitdays.org> .

      Yours Rob

      First Annual Godwit Days Special Event Fall Preview OCTOBER 13-14, 2012

      SATURDAY October 13

      Sunrise 7:28 AM High Tide 11:30 AM Low Tide 5:53 PM Sunset 6:38
      PM

      TRIP 1 PELAGIC TOUR SAT 6:30 AM
      3:30 PM $100.00

      Meet at Woodley Island Marina, Eureka. Heading out of Humboldt Bay, we
      plan to encounter our Pacific Ocean seabirds. Albatrosses, shearwaters,
      and auks are expected to be seen from aboard the Shenandoah with leaders
      Daryl Coldren and Tony Kurz. Bring waterproof clothing and lunch; take
      any sea-sickness medication as directed. Full trip refund if conditions
      cause cancellation.

      TRIP 2 RARE WARBLERS, DAY 1 (North) SAT 8:00 AM
      2:00 PM $25.00

      Meet at Samoa Boat Ramp, North Spit, Humboldt Bay. Any trip looking for
      rare migrant passerines will visit the North Spit "Vagrant
      Patches" of Humboldt Bay. We will start here both days and check the
      Boat Ramp, Cypress Patch, Airport Patch, and Horse Pasture. On Saturday,
      we will head north, stopping off at Shay Park, Mad River County Park,
      and Elk Head. We will be kept posted of any other rare bird sightings
      that day, so be prepared for a detour if one shows up somewhere else in
      the area.

      TRIP 3 SHOREBIRDS DAY 1 SAT
      8:30 AM 12:30 PM $25.00

      Meet at Arcata Marsh (Klopp Lake), Foot of South I Street. Join leader
      Gary Bloomfield as we stake out the foot of I Street at the City's
      iconic wetland. Three hours before high tide, we will describe and
      observe the roosting shorebirds at close range.

      TRIP 4 HBNWR AND EEL RIVER DELTA SAT 9:00 AM
      1:00 PM $25.00

      Meet at Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Hookton Road exit from
      Hwy 101. Join retired USFS biologist Chet Ogan at the Headquarters
      parking lot between 8:45 and 9:00, check out the Shorebird Trail and
      Long Pond, continue on to the alders along the access road, then
      continue to Hookton Road, Copenhagen Road, Crab Park, and finish at Cock
      Robin Island if time allows. There should be a diverse selection of
      waterbirds, raptors, and passerines. This area has produced a Little
      Gull, Tropical Kingbirds, Say's Phoebes, and Black-and-White Warblers in
      the past.

      TRIP 5 BEAR RIVER RIDGE SAT 8:30 AM
      3:00 PM $40.00

      Meet in Eureka, Hwy 101 Southbound, K-Mart parking lot (at southern-most
      stop light in Eureka, 4325 Broadway/Hwy 101). Join writer and retired
      USFS bio technician Tom Leskiw in south Eureka to carpool south to Rio
      Dell and over Bear River Ridge to Ferndale. Migrating raptors will be
      the focus of this trip across the coastal prairie hilltops. If time
      allows, we will check the Centerville wetlands for shorebirds on our way
      back to Fernbridge and Eureka.

      SUNDAY October 14

      Sunrise 7:20 AM High Tide 12:05 PM Low Tide 6:38 PM Sunset 6:49 PM

      TRIP 6 LAKE EARL, DEL NORTE COUNTY SUN 6:30 AM 5:00 PM
      $40.00

      Meet in Arcata, Hwy 101 northbound, at Expresso 101, Valley West
      Shopping Center, Giuntoli Exit. Join wildlife biologist Robert Hewitt as
      we head north up Hwy 101 to neighboring Del Norte County. There, we will
      check some of the classic birding locations, including Alexandre Dairy,
      Smith River Mouth, Crescent City Harbor, behind Safeway, and Point St.
      George.

      TRIP 7 HUMBOLDT COAST SEAWATCH SUN 9:00 AM 2:00
      PM $25.00

      Meet in Trinidad at Murphy's Market parking lot. For some, the
      experience of sea-sickness is a never-to-be-repeated activity, so
      pelagic trips are out. Join the land-lubbers as we "sea-watch"
      from several of Humboldt County's best spots, including Elk Head,
      the North and South Jetties, and Table Bluff. Shearwaters, alcids, and
      sea-ducks will be picked out of the gulls and other rocky shorebirds
      present.

      TRIP 8 RARE WARBLERS, DAY 2 (South) SUN 8:00 AM
      2:00 PM $25.00

      Meet at Samoa Boat Ramp, North Spit, Humboldt Bay. Join leaders Annie
      Meyer and Meghan Still who will co-lead this trip. Sunday, we will
      visit the North Spit "Vagrant Patches" of Humboldt Bay, and
      check the Boat Ramp, Cypress Patch, Airport Patch, and Horse Pasture
      before heading south by carpool to the Elk River Wildlife Sanctuary,
      Fernbridge, and the Salt River. We will be kept posted of any other rare
      bird sightings that day, so be prepared for a detour if one shows up
      somewhere else in the area.

      TRIP 9 SHOREBIRDS DAY 2 SUN
      9:00 AM 1:00 PM $25.00

      Meet at Arcata Marsh (Klopp Lake), Foot of South I Street. As the high
      tide approaches, this trip is designed for an "up-close" study
      of the shorebirds roosting around the edges of the Arcata Marsh &
      Wildlife Sanctuary. With a spotting scope, great views of tiny Least
      Sandpiper, through Dunlin and Marbled Godwit, to Long-billed Curlew will
      be possible. A relaxed trip for those that just want to sit and watch
      the tide roll in, but if the bird action wanes at Klopp Lake, we will
      tour the Marsh and nearby areas. We are also poised to follow up on any
      rare birds that may be reported later that day.

      TRIP 10 CENTERVILLE TO PETROLIA SUN 7:30 AM
      5:00 PM $40.00

      Meet Eureka, Hwy 101 Southbound, K-Mart parking lot. Join Tony Kurz
      birding south via Ferndale, we plan to visit isolated willow patches
      that are seldom birded during prime migration season. Petrolia is at the
      mouth of the Mattole River, the eventual destination after the glorious
      coastal drive south. A check of the Centerville wetlands might be in
      order before heading south. We will also scan for raptors as we pass
      over the west end of Bear River Ridge.