Red-breasted Nuthatches

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2012
      Mon, 01 Oct 2012 -- I just saw a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH at my feeders in
      Potter Valley for the only time in 33 years. In the last week I have seen
      them in about 6 locations where I normally do not expect them. Dare I say
      there is an irruption in progress?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • birdmanofthewoods4
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28 8:36 PM
        I watched today as a couple of Red-breasted Nuthatches competed with a couple of my Chestnut-backed Chickadees for nesting rights to one of my birdhouses.The RBN's seemed quite determined to hold the box and showed a lot of interest in nesting. I'm not sure if there are nesting records here on the coast for this species (?), but it certainly would be unusual for these local environs. I'm going to put out another birdhouse tomorrow to entice them. We shall see.